When I first moved into my piso, there were 2 spanish girls and 1 spanish guy. Living with 3 spaniards was great, don't get me wrong, but the INTENSITY of having to focus on listening to a foreign language all day every day made me really worn out.
But a few days after I moved in the guy moved out, and the extra room was taken by a girl from England! This has been fantastic so far, not only because I have someone to speak english with for once, but also because I get to have my inner-child pleased by listening to the English accent day in and day out. It's been wonderful (:
Last night Christina (my flatmate), Eli and I went out for tapas. Here are some of the new words I learned:
- fringe = bangs
- pissed = drunk (^ i knew both of these, but it was still fun to hear her say them)
- shopping trolley = little canvas bag on wheels that spaniards use to carry their groceries home
- spotty = zits, breaking out
- i'm not stressed = i'm not worried about it
- jumper = pants (i knew this too, but once again, my inner child was excited)
After talking with her last night and all day today I caught myself once or twice slipping into the accent a bit. How fantastic would it be if I came back from this year not only speaking spanish better, but also talking in a british accent? I'd call that a success!