Thursday, October 27, 2011

At least she didn't ask me how to spell Eyjafjallajökull....

Today in one of my classes the teacher asked me to write the countries and capitals on the board in English, as she said them to the class in Spanish.
So.
This assumes that 1) I know all the European countries and their capitals in English and 2) I know the translation of all the countries and their capitals from Spanish to English.

Are you kidding me? I didn't want to be the ignorant American and confess that we actually never learned all the European countries and their capitals in school. BUT. Even if we had, it would have been at least 10 years ago in middle school, so forgive me if I'd have forgotten a few. Hmph.

Here's a little taste of how the hour went..

  • Tallin, Estonia -> Tallinn, Estonia
  • Vilna, Lituania -> Vilnius, Lithuania
  • Skopje, Macedonia -> Skopje, Macedonia 
  • La Valletta, Malta -> Valletta, Malta
  • Liubliana, Eslovanía -> Ljubljana, Slovania 
  • Minsk, Bielorrusia -> Minsk, Belarus
And my personal favorite...
  • Reikiavik, Islandia -> Reykjavik, Iceland (Yeah...try thinking of that off the top of your head.) 

Disclaimer: I didn't know any of these, I had to look them up when I got home. But really, can you blame me for not knowing them? 

2 comments:

  1. Its moments like this that I feel blessed to have my own classroom :P

    I wouldn't have been able to get that far, good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha oh no, I didn't make it that far. I got the easy ones like Brussels, Stockholm and Warsaw. The ones I posted were the ones I thought were the most ridiculous that she expected me to know.

    ReplyDelete