Thursday, January 26, 2012

A [[hopefully not normal]] week in the life of an auxiliar.

Here's how my week went:

Monday morning my first 2 classes were cancelled (ahead of time, thank god), and I left at the end of my 4th class feeling slightly sick.

Then I proceeded to call in sick Tuesday and Wednesday.

And by Thursday morning I felt so guilty about this that I dragged myself out of bed, insistent on making it to my last day of work, evening though I felt light headed and ready to throw up as I raced to the bus stop, because I had left my house late. (That's true dedication people, take note.)

So, I show up at 9:10. Wait around until 9:30 when I finally catch my bilingual coordinator to ask if the teacher I was waiting for was here today. And she says,"Oh! No, you didn't know?" Well, no. Cause no one had thought to mention it to me. Nice.
Sooooooo...I played sudoku on the couch in the teachers lounge for 2 1/2 hours waiting for my next class.
The teacher for that class, who had been with me the entire 2 1/2 hours before class, waited until 2 minutes before class started to tell me that she actually didn't need me today because she was doing the class in Spanish instead. (I have lots of issues with that statement but I'll save it for another post.)
Splendid.
I told her I would go anyway, since the kids hadn't seen me since Monday.
Then, 5 minutes later, the teacher with whom I had been waiting around for all day to give a private class to, stuck her head in the door and said she had a montón of stuff to do and couldn't make it to class.

And that's when I said "screw it" and finally left.

So yes. I dragged my sick self out of bed for nothing, ran to the bus stop for nothing, and sat at school for 3 hours for nothing.
I love my job.

Okay, I really do love my job. I just have a lot of day-to-day issues with my job.
But the kids are fantastic, and (when I actually make it to a class) I always leave with a smile on my face.
But wow. Their communication system could realllllllly use some work.

No comments:

Post a Comment