Monday, January 16, 2012

The Bombona Situation

Downside: my feet are numb from having to stand in ice cold water.
Upside: my hair is finally clean :)

..........

One aspect of living in Spain that I will probably never get used to, is la bombona. Aka the gas tank. Even after 4 months of living in Spain I still hop in the shower and wonder why the water never gets hot, only to have to jump out, towel off, run to the kitchen and turn on la bombona. And then wait 5 more minutes until it finally kicks in.

About once a month (maybe more, I'm not sure since I never change it) the bombona runs out and we replace it with a new one. Which means that about once a month somebody has forgotten to order a new one in time and there is a day or two lag with no warm water.

Every time that happens I hold out as long as I can, hoping the new bombona will be there before my hair gets too greasy and unwashed.
Usually I luck out.
But not today.

2 days ago, the bombona ran out of gas. I assumed my roommates would change it.
I assumed wrong.
Today, after 3 days of insisting that my hair didn't actually look as greasy as it was, I finally asked a roommate about the problem. She admitted that she had forgotten to pick a new one up, but that mañana (tomorrow) she would get on it.
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllll mañana just wasn't soon enough for my hair situation.

So I gritted my teeth, said my ritual swear words to psych myself up, and stuck my head under the ice cold shower head.

It was f***ing cold! And I kept spraying myself in the face by accident, not pleasant. And since the drain in our bath tub doesn't work too well, by the time I was done there was a nice little pool of icyness around my feet.

Which are still freezing, by the way.

But I suppose with every situation you win some you lose some, and if this is the losing aspect of living abroad in Spain, I really can't complain too much!


2 comments:

  1. God, this happens to me all the time! I'm a greasy hair wimp, so whenever our bombona runs out I have to do the freezing shower thing. It's awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just think how mentally tough we're going to be when we go back to the U.S. Nothing will phase us! (Ha. At least that's what I tell myself to feel better.)

      Delete